The Mac mini. Way more power. Way same size.
Two models to choose from:
2.5GHz dual-core Intel Core i5 processor, 4GB RAM, 500GB hard drive $599
2.3GHz quad-core Intel Core i7 processor, 4GB RAM, 1TB hard drive $799
Now Mac mini packs even more power, thanks to the latest dual-core and quad-core Intel processors. It also comes with integrated Intel HD Graphics 4000, Thunderbolt, USB 3, and OS X Mountain Lion—the latest release of the world’s most advanced desktop operating system. And Mac mini with OS X Server features a quad-core Intel Core i7 processor and twice as much storage as before. But it’s as easy as ever to set up and run.
- Dual-core Intel Core i5 or quad-core Intel Core i7 processor
- Integrated Intel HD Graphics 4000
- Thunderbolt port for connecting high-speed devices or up to two Apple Thunderbolt Displays
- USB 3 to connect external hard drives and transfer large files
- HDMI port and included HDMI to DVI Adapter for connecting your HDTV or DVI display
- Removable panel that makes adding memory quick and easy
- Works with almost any display, keyboard, and mouse
- OS X Mountain Lion
Accessories and Related Products
Apple Thunderbolt Display
The world’s first Thunderbolt display doesn’t just give you more pixels. It gives you more possibilities. Built-in Thunderbolt technology lets you connect as many as six devices through a single port and transfer data up to 20 times faster than with USB 2.0.
Apple Wireless Keyboard
Incredibly thin and streamlined, the Apple Wireless Keyboard lets you type on your desk, on your lap, or anywhere within range. Wherever you put it, the keyboard will take up minimal space.
Apple Magic Trackpad
Magic Trackpad sits perfectly flush next to the Apple Wireless Keyboard and lets you use all the Multi-Touch gestures built into OS X Mountain Lion to control and interact with what’s on your screen. Swipe through photos. Scroll up and down web pages. And click anywhere.
Apple Magic Mouse
Magic Mouse is unlike any other mouse you’ve ever used. The Multi-Touch surface lets you use gestures to swipe through photos and scroll down web pages. And the entire mouse is the button, so you can click anywhere.
Apple USB SuperDrive
Compact and convenient, the Apple USB SuperDrive connects to your iMac, MacBook Pro with Retina display, MacBook Air, or Mac mini with a single USB cable and fits easily into a travel bag. It lets you install software and play and burn both CDs and DVDs, including double-layer DVDs.
Time Capsule is the revolutionary backup device that works wirelessly with Time Machine in OS X Mountain Lion. It automatically backs up everything, so you never have to worry about losing important files. It also doubles as a full-featured 802.11n Wi-Fi base station.*
*Wireless Internet access requires Internet access; fees may apply. Some ISPs are not currently compatible with Time Capsule.
AirPort Extreme Base Station
Speed, range, and easy setup make AirPort Extreme the perfect wireless solution for home, school, and small business. It offers simultaneous dual-band support and lets up to 50 people share Internet access, a wireless network, a hard drive, and a printer.*
*Wireless Internet access requires Internet access; fees may apply. Some ISPs are not currently compatible with AirPort Extreme.
Mac mini with OS X Server The do-it-yourself, fits-on-a-shelf server.
2.3GHz quad-core Intel Core i7, 4.0GB RAM, Dual 1TB hard drives $999
Ready to run right out of the box, Mac mini with OS X Server features a quad-core processor, ultrafast Thunderbolt technology, and now twice the storage capacity. And it’s still just $999.
Serving up quad-core power.
Mac mini with OS X Server features a 2.3GHz quad-core Intel Core i7 processor that delivers incredible speed and performance, thanks to innovations like Turbo Boost 2.0, Hyper-Threading, and an integrated memory controller. Add in 6MB of L3 cache, and you’ll find that Mac mini with OS X Server is packed with power.
Double the storage. It’s twice as big — on the inside.
Mac mini also has two 1TB 5400-rpm hard drives built in,1 so you can host wikis and websites, back up the data you need, and store just about anything. For the ultimate in performance choose flash storage, in either one or two 256GB solid-state drives. This configuration performs up to twice as fast as the previous generation’s flash storage and nearly five times as fast as the standard hard drive.2
High-speed Thunderbolt I/O.
Thunderbolt technology gives you two channels on the same connector with 10 Gbps of throughput in both directions. And it lets you daisy-chain a display and up to six devices, including high-performance storage solutions such as the Promise Pegasus, via one compact port. You’ll see data transfer rates up to 12 times faster than with FireWire 800.
OS X Server. The server for everyone.
Thanks to OS X Server, it’s never been easier to install, set up, and manage a server. The advanced features in OS X Server turns Mac mini into a powerful server that’s perfect for home offices, businesses, schools, and more.
The more users the merrier.
Mac mini with OS X Server lets you add an unlimited number of Mac and PC users without per-user licensing fees. So you can grow your business without growing your budget. And you get amazing hardware and software, with support for iOS devices like iPad and iPhone, right out of the box. All for less than the cost of most server software alone.
Server app. Your own mini IT department.
The Mac is famously easy to use, and so is Mac mini with OS X Server. That makes it perfect for people who’ve never run a server before, or for overtaxed IT departments. The Server app will walk you through the setup process step by step. And if you want help at any stage, just choose the Help menu or click the Next Steps button.
Tools like the Server app let you quickly set up all your key services as well as control users and groups. And Profile Manager simplifies deploying, configuring, and managing your Mac computers and iOS devices like iPhone and iPad, including user accounts for mail, calendar, contacts, messages, and more.
Share with ease. Collaborate with confidence.
The powerful services in OS X Server make it easy to share information among Mac, PC, and iOS devices. Access control lists (ACLs) manage who has access to what. Time Machine backs up every Mac on your network. A wiki-powered website lets groups collaborate easily. And calendar and contacts sharing keeps everyone on time and in the loop.
Space saver. Energy saver.
Mac mini with OS X Server uses less than 11 watts of power when idle3 — a fraction of the power needed by a similarly equipped tower server. So it has a big impact on the way your office works, but only a tiny impact on the planet.
- 1GB = 1 billion bytes and 1TB = 1 trillion bytes; actual formatted capacity less.
- Testing conducted by Apple in October 2012 using preproduction 2.3GHz quad-core Intel Core i7-based Mac mini units with two 256GB solid-state drives and 8GB RAM, preproduction 2.3GHz quad-core Intel Core i7-based Mac mini units with a 1TB 5400-rpm hard drive and 4GB RAM, and shipping 2.0GHz quad-core Intel Core i7-based Mac mini units with two 256GB solid-state drives and 8GB RAM. Testing conducted using Iometer 2006.07.27 with a 30-second ramp-up, 5-minute run duration, 512KB request size, 8 outstanding IOs, and 150GB test file. Solid-state drive systems configured with one drive for the OS and the other drive for Iometer testing. Average rotational media performance calculated by creating the test file on the outer, middle, and inner sectors of the drive and averaging the results from all three measurements. Performance tests are conducted using specific computer systems and reflect the approximate performance of Mac mini.
- Claim based on energy efficiency categories and products listed in the EPA ENERGY STAR database as of October 2012.